Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It's a S-W-A-P !

My soaps have just reached Bellingham, Washington as I am writing this post. SUPER EXCITING !

I am taking part in my very first soap swap ! Soap swaps are great opportunities to showcase our soapmaking skills and to savour soaps made by other soapmakers in the soapmaking community. There are some 140 Swappers this round and they are from different parts of the world ... a truely international experience !

To participate in the Bramble Berry Soap Swap, we were required to indicate via email whether we were submitting Melt and Pour or Cold Process soaps, as well as our choice of Bramble Berry fragrance oil used. We were to submit 12 pieces of soap per entry by 2 May 2011. Amber is in-charge of the swap this time and she is wonderful, keeping everyone updated on the progress and with reminders :)

I, of course, selected the Melt and Pour category and "Energy" fragrance oil was my choice with its stimulating blend of Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime; with hints of fresh Cucumber and Jasmine, and a touch of Pineapple, Blackberry and Champagne. I felt that it truely represented our tropical climate and the energizing buzz of a cosmopolitan city.

Well, my lil project didn't go as smoothly as I had anticipated and it was a sharp learning curve for me. I wanted my soaps to shout " S-I-N-G-A-P-O-R-E " ... and uniquely so.

I decided to make my own mold for this lil project and started work more than 2 weeks ago. All went well until it was time to unmold my soap. It was a total disaster ! Every piece of soap came out - warped ... smashed ... very badly scratched ... with parts broken off ... *sigh**

With only a week to go, I made yet another mold, only to yield the same dismaying results. Then, Mummy shared with me how her dad ( who was a well-known Shanghainese tailor in Singapore ) used to snip his form-fitting cheongsams all the way up the ladys' hips so that the ladys could move in them. A-HA ! idea leh !

I CUT UP my mold ! really ... I did just that so that I could release the soap from the mold and then I would painstakingly "tape" the mold up before pouring the next piece of soap. I was so determined to deliver this project that I worked round the clock literally - with one piece of cut up mold. I am LOONEY ! haha ...

But seriously, it was quite an experience. And this is my lil masterpiece ...

** IMPORTANT - these pieces of soap were made in participation of Bramble Berry Soap Swap and are not for sale.



Merlion Soap - left view

 
Merlion Soap - right view


Merlion Soap - details on lower portion, left view


Merlion Soap - details on lower portion, right view
 

Merlion Soap - details on the back


All packaged ... and ready to go !
 

Friday 29 April 2011, I was wrapping the last piece of soap and daddy was helping me to pack everything into the box when the Fedex van pulled up in front of our house at exactly 1400hrs. PHEW ! Made it in time to catch the night's flight ! As assured by Fedex, if all goes well without delay at customs, my parcel (a healthy 10 kg box) should reach Bramble Berry on 2 May 2011 by 1030hrs. *fingers crossed*

Now I've to remember to purchase "the return ticket" and I am looking forward to share with everyone the soapy goodies I would receive in exchange. Follow my blog lah !! *Grin**

2 comments:

  1. I received your gorgeous soap yesterday from the soap swap. By far my favorite and professionally packaged to boot! I love the information that you gave us about the mythical creature.
    I told my kids they could each choose one soap from the swap, guess which one my 8 year old chose? He LOVES your soap and is fascinated with other countries and their cultures. He says he's never going to use it and will show all of his friends because it is so "regal."
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi!!!

    may i know how you made your merlion mold? :)

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete